Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Sick Mommy Blues

Ok Rose, another realistic one for you. My last post was a complain-a-log about having sick kids. This one is a complain-a-log about being sick myself. Somehow I think it so unrealistic that Quincy's little tiny girl sicknesses can get passed on to a big lady like myself and actually bring her down - but as always it has happened. Quincy's feeling better and I'm feeling crappy, along with Max. It's hard being happy and taking care of everything when you just want to curl up and sleep away your cold.
It's funny how your view on being a mother can change by the day, hour, and minute. This morning I was pretty ornery. As Israel went of to his work-study job I made some comment like "Aren't you lucky you get to escape for a few hours." He had no idea what I meant by that, I suppose it appears to him that I have a pretty great job. If only we could spend a day in each others shoes, I'm sure we'd appreciate each other alot more. I look at him getting to spend most of the day in peace and quiet, knowing that when he comes home there will be food on the table and clean clothes to wear, and I envy that life. Then I compare it to myself - cleaning up the same toys day after day, reading the same story books night after night, trying to cook meals while a baby is screaming - somehow Max is ALWAYS hungry at the precise time that I want to eat or cook. Then there's the grocery shopping - another thing that I did not understand until I had two kids was how difficult it is to shop with more than one. With one in the basket and one in the seat where are you supposed to put the actual groceries. Oh how nice it would seem to hole myself up in the library and just learn - does anyone else feel this way? Don't you just sometimes think that these boys have the life? I know they get stressed and worried, but they always know at least there is an end to their troubles. A mothers job is never done. But I realize that this is only my perception, and then think of the thinks that I would miss out on if I didn't have my kids and my life. Once again today Quincy said to me "Mom, you're my best friend." When Max saw me he gave me that enormous grin of his and his little arms and legs went wild. They don't seem to notice that I'm a grouch. Thank goodness for their sweet little hearts.

And that will be the last of my whiney posts.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

No, don't make it the last of your whiny posts... we are entitled to as many as we want as mothers! The trick to grocery shopping... drop Quincy off at my house to play with Adalin! I am sorry you are sick. :(

Ruth Harper Gough said...

Oh Rebecca. I hear you. I think Andrew and I had a very similar conversation just the other day. You are incredible. I'm sorry you are sick.

Zanzi & Buzz said...

I don't think it's whiny when we share our struggles and we realize we're not alone in them and we help each other be strong through the tough times. I'm sorry I haven't checked computer stuff the last couple of days, we totally should talk, these are the EXACT SAME things I struggle with!!!!!

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I love reading your posts. I'm sorry you got sick. I need to keep up on blogs better, so I can offer help! It really is hard to keep up with everything when you're not feeling good. You made it through fine though, you're awesome! And keep me in mind if you want to curl up and sleep away. My kids are begging me to have kids over for playdates!